Thursday, November 18, 2010

"A Cultural Treasure"

This week, UNESCO declared Mexican Cuisine a cultural treasure --Patrimonio de la Humanidad - como decimos en Mexico. I read it on twitter, on newspapers, then, I felt the need to share it with my friends...and tonight I realized that even though I did not need a reminder, it made me feel proud of my country, and my roots.

And although, for many people Mexican food equals "cheesy" and "creamy" dishes; it is certainly more than that. When I see both of my kids eating home-made tamales and beans like there is no tomorrow - I feel awesome; I see myself in them.

So, whatever your favorite dish, go ahead and try something new; something that perhaps you have never tried. Or something that you don't try so often. My current 'affair' is with beans. Yes, beans - think beyond pinto. The nuances in texture, aromas and flavor are incredible. It all started when I was at the Ferry Building in San Francisco a couple of years ago, and I saw a kind of bean that I had never seen before, Ayocote Morado. It had a dark purplish color and was bigger than pinto or red beans. When I cooked them, I discovered a delicious creamy texture; and a very thin bouillon that reminded me when growing up I would dip bread into the bowl (en el caldito).

So next time you want to eat beans, give new beans a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment